11.07.2006

Why Basketball is Better than Football


Saturday night, after watching UCLA lose and USC win (bastards) and then drinking tequila, I switched over to watch the Los Angeles Clippers putting the hurt on the Phoenix Suns. There were 11.6 seconds left, the score was 116 to 106, Clippers leading.

If this had been a football game and there were just under 12 seconds left on the clock, the guys would have taken off their helmets and farted around the field for a few, then walked off before the time even ran out.

But not in basketball. Here they actually run around the court actively trying to overcome a 10 point deficit in 11 seconds.

Also, there's no reaching between another guy's legs and pretending that's okay. Plus, ballers have nicer muscles than football players.

And unlike the damn Raiders (I am Mexican, after all), the Clippers actually know how to win. Seriously, how many times can you let them sack your damn quarterback?

I'm really glad basketball is back. And after the Bruins give it up on December 2nd (lets not pretend we're gonna win that game), we can move on to rooting for the basketball team. We're not letting Florida take it
again this year!

Confidential to Bruin Alumni and welcomed guests: Speaking of The Big Game, we're gathering at my parents' house this year for the 2nd Annual Napkin Dispensation. No Trojans allowed! Anyone appearing in the slightest shade of hateful crimson will be shot on sight and left to be eaten by vultures and marauding bands of rabid cannibal babies (yes, that does include my traitor brother). And then you can all come watch me run around Griffith Park the next morning. Go Bruins!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i will start workin on the sitter!

David N. Scott said...

Ah, sports. ALways been missing that part of my brain for some reason. Guess I used to watch wrestling...

Jeen Yes said...

UCLA has a football team? when did this happen? you're hatred of the crimson and gold is kind of funny, but really....pathetic, at least when you compare it to unadulterated kind shared by ohio state and michigan fans. good to see you're passionate about something though.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

KM: Word, baby.

DNS: it's okay. You're forgiven.

JY: yeah, we have better things to do than spend our entire lives wedded to a football rivalry. Ours only lasts one day, then Los Angeles we get back to what's really important: shooting each other on freeways.

DrinkJack said...

I dislike pro basketball for that very reason. They jerk around for 47 minutes and then spend 2 hours on the last minute of play. How many fucking ways can to stop play in 11 seconds? Geez

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Sweetie, you have your NASCAR, let me have my basketball! I grew up watching my brothers play ball. It's like poetry in motion.

And you know that something had to have happened those first 47 minutes to put the score into triple digits.

DrinkJack said...

Don't get me wrong, I love college hoops. Just the pros don't do it for me :)