11.29.2006

Driving to the Hole


The Clippers are leading the Memphis Grizzlies 59 to 47 with 31 seconds left in the half.

I love basketball.

Football is too barbaric, hockey is too difficult to comprehend by those of us in the temperate regions, soccer is un-American, and baseball is just plain boring.

Basketball, on the other hand, is poetry in motion.

I grew up watching my brothers play. Even though they both dabbled in other sports in their formative years (my dad was even my older brother's baseball coach), they finally made their names on the b-ball court. They're both over six feet, and quite agile, which means I can't tell you which position they excelled at since they played just about everything (except center, I think).

Though my older brother managed to break both of his arms playing ball, albeit not at the same time. The first time he ran into a wall. The second time he fell backwards. That one happened almost immediately after the first one healed.

64 to 46, Clippers lead! Mobley just made an amazing 3-pointer at the buzzer while flying through the air. Try to convince me that's not awesomeness. Yeah, they've lost their last 7. Shut up. They're poised for a comeback.

So my older brother made some retarded moves, but he was still cool. My little brother managed to bring an entire backboard down on his head. (You can see the scar here.) While playing a pick-up game of at some schoolyard, he went up for the dunk and broke the whole damn thing. It came crashing down on his noggin and he ended up in the emergency room too. He had to wear a white bandage around his brainy parts for about a week, kind of like a turban.

And you wonder why I tease him about looking like a terrorist.

Neither of these stories are to belittle my brothers or the fabulous game of basketball. It's my favorito. But it's half-time and I'm out of wine, so I turn to you people.

And after USC has its way with us on Saturday (lets not pretend otherwise), football will be over and I can root my Bruins on for another championship game. I love March Madness! Maybe this year we can go all the way.

Go Clippers! Go Bruins! Long live basketball!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we have found where we diverge! I am not a big basketball fan; baseball is my first love, and everything else is secondary. Although I love all versions of college sports.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

WHAT???? You mean you're NOT my Egyptian twin? I'm so sad now.

My father is a huge baseball fan (see how he was coach in that scintillating tale above), and will sit endless hour upon endless hour watching the damn Mets. Oy.

Boring.

The littlest Princess said...

If you want to know Basketball is my second Favorite sport :) Just thought I'd share that. You of course know my first.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Sex?

Oh wait, no. You like baseball too. Bah.

David N. Scott said...

I like basketball more than most sports. Though that's not at all.

neil said...

Basketball is a great sport...I kind of fell in love with it later in life, though I did play a bit growing up (I'm 6'4...so I HAD to play...).

I'm a pretty big Clippers fan too (when is Shawn Livingstone finally going to break out???)...but the Raptors are my team for obvious reasons.

Maybe hell will freeze over this year and both teams will make it to the playoffs?

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Neil, I can only comment on my Clippers, who are battling the Lakers right now. Also considered the "home" team tonight at Staples Center...today was the day that UCLA embarrassed USC, so maybe the Clippers can make it happen too.