10.08.2006

Training Week #27


I'm in the home stretch! At this time next Sunday I will be crossing the finish line in Long Beach and making my way over to a pancake victory breakfast down on the water.

I've been so incredibly distracted by work and other factors the last month, that this entire goal of mine has become more of a burden than the accomplishment it's supposed to be. I've been too exhausted after work to run during the week, which makes it that more difficult to get up and do long runs on Sundays. And those first 5 minutes of the first mile have always been the worst. Especially at 7 am, when the cloud cover is still thick over the water and all you want is a hot cup of coffee and to NOT be running.

When I first decided to do this, I got off on the disbelief on people's faces when I told them I was training for a marathon (and I have trained for an entire marathon, even if I'm only running half). Slowly but surely, as I hit a new personal record every week in either distance or time, it became less of a shock to me that I can now run 13.1 miles. I mean, can't everyone do that? It's really not that big a deal. I swear.

We were on our last practice run this morning, down in our usual Venice Beach location, when my running buddy and I came up on a group of 3 middle-aged men. They could tell by our singlets that we're in training and asked how long our run was today. We told them that since the race is next week, this was just a short 6 miles. They laughed in disbelief of 6 miles being a short run and wished us luck as we passed them.

I still remember when running a full two miles was a major triumph. Now I can do a 5K before breakfast and not even think about it (that's 3.1 miles for the metrically-impaired).

It's also interesting who your random supporters become. Of course, my friends have been wonderful. One sat me down at a party just to tell me how proud she is of me. It almost made me cry (but I'd also had 5 beers, so we'll blame the sentimentality on that). The rest donated gobs of money. Such good kids.

But it's been you guys that have amazed me. My readers were responsible for nearly $500 of my total fundraising. You don't even know me and I didn't promise you anything but good karma! That's really just awesome.

And today the clerk at 7-11, where I've stopped every Sunday morning at 6:45 am for the last 5 months to pick up water and a Powerbar, told me he's really impressed with me. Then there was those three guys down on the beach, cheering us on. And the homeless people we'd see every week, trying to get us to laugh as we made our way down to Marina del Rey and back (hey, it's only 8 miles).

I'm going to remember all that in Long Beach next week. It's what's going to keep me going.

7 days!!

13 comments:

DrinkJack said...

I am making a note to remind myself next Sunday to send speedy vibes out West! Go kick ass.

Anonymous said...

Run Forest Run! and You Go Girl!

I am such a cheeseball!
but that is why you love me.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Jack: if you want to time it just right, I'll hit mile 8 just before 10 am PST. ;)

KM: how rad would you be if you came down there with a sign that says that? My brother and the Princess will be at mile 6. If you're interested.

C-Dub said...

Awe, so proud of you! I'm still someone that considers 2 miles a miracle. lol. Wish I could be there along the way to cheer you on. But alas I will be in NYC recovering from my friends bachlorette party and hanging out with my mom. So instead I'll send you happy rungging vibes and do a toast to your success with my mom!

Good luck sweetie!!

Anonymous said...

wish I could be there!
was planning on trying to come, Little Tim is in town that weekend and staying with us, Sunday morning is MC Family event and then my oldest monster has a bday party to go in the afternoon, oh and the day before is the krazy daddy-in-law's 60th bday party, do you think I can pack anymore into next weekend!

I will be there in spirit, thinking about you and cheering you on the whole way through! I am so proud of you!!!!!!!!

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

C-dub: as long as we celebrate with sushi and sake the following weekend, it's all good! I can't wait to see you, babe!!

KM: I feel your pain. I have a looong work week, a rehearsal dinner in Malibu on Friday (how do I get there from downtown in rush hour traffic???), then a wedding on Saturday, followed by our carb-load dinner in Long Beach that night, and THEN a marathon to run.

Which is why I'm taking Monday off. Might treat myself to a visit to Brazil. Gotta get a damn passport!!

SkookumJoe said...

I would have gone to Brazil but I'm too lazy to learn Portugese and Aussies already speak something English-like.

Best of luck on race day, though I think you have already won.

Jeen Yes said...

enjoy your icey cold adult beverage at the victory party. TNT throws a nice lil bash for its runners....and you deserve it. congrats in advance for such an accomplishment.

DrinkJack said...

Yeah...high noon my time!!!

David N. Scott said...

Hoorah!! That's really awesome. We've been doing a 5.5 mile hike 3 times a week and that's hard already... glad I'm not running it... :)

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

SJ: Brazil is code for something I'm not sure you want to do to yourself.

JY: I'm only doing it for the party!

Jack: like how I timed that for you? Had to make sure you were up and coherent.

DNS: it's really not that hard.

David N. Scott said...

It would be for me...

Jeen Yes said...

if memory serves, it's almost exclusively beer though. i know how much you'd love a post-race takillya. maybe they've upped the ante over the years. if they have, throw one back for me