9.24.2006

Training Week #25


Today I ran 14.5 miles. It was my longest and hardest run ever.

Not because I hadn't done this before. Well, not 14 miles, but I have done 13. No, I just felt like shit this morning.

The reason is that I was an asshole on Friday night and gave in to 7 shots of
Mexico's finest. For the record, 4 is usually my limit. 5 will make me sick. But I was at home, enjoying some company, and didn't really take into account that 7 shots over 2 hours is a really stupid thing to do.

So Saturday was spent barely conscious. It was the worst hangover I've had since my 23rd birthday, when I woke up in a pool of my own vomit and then had food poisoning for the next 5 days. This wasn't that bad, but I was definitely not prepared for 4 hours of running today.

I walked nearly half of the course. My chest and back hurt from all the violent vomiting the day before, making it difficult to breathe. The Santa Anas blew in, making it hot and icky. And generally feeling like hell didn't help.

Despite that, I didn't necessarily go easy on myself either. The
Long Beach Half-Marathon route is nice and flat. But since part of my team is training for the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, I decided to do some hill training with them today. It was not fun.

I'm so glad I'm not running that event.

In three weeks I'll be hitting Long Beach and I have no doubt that I'll finish in less than the 4 hours I've given myself. I'm totally ready for this, both mentally and physically. But I can't afford giving in to my baser needs, so I'm going back to my original plan. No more alcohol until this is over. None. Which really shouldn't be difficult.

Now, off to massage my supremely sore muscles. What I wouldn't give for a live-in masseur tonight.

Or any night, really.

8 comments:

SkookumJoe said...

Running is often a sign of poor planning….unless you do it for fun, it is fun for you isn’t it?

No really, I admire your conviction. I think you are crazy, but of course they said the same thing about me, except doctors said it about me which is probably different.

Can’t find me now though!

Haha silly crazy-doctors

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Yes, Skooky. I do actually enjoy the running. Though not when hungover.

You are, indeed, bat shit crazy. Which is why we love you.

Will said...

for a myriad of reasons I admire the fact that you were able to do this yesterday.

DrinkJack said...

Good choice on giving up the drink until completed...just don't make running a living. Where's the fun in that :)

Anonymous said...

Ex: I'm trying to take up running, but it's so boring. What do you think about?

PS: Am v. impressed at your 14.5 miles.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Will: I'm impressed that you'll do anything you're dared to. I could have much fun with you.

Jack: honey, I could never give up drinking. The tequila would miss me.

Woody: unfortunately, it does. But that doesn't mean I won't watch you drink it. I like to watch. (And one of us should be able to drive...)

Sandra: usually the sex I could have been having, if I'd just stayed in bed. That motivates me to run faster and get back home quicker. ;)

And for the record, kids: my event is only 13.1 miles long. There was no reason for me to run more than 14. I'm just psycho.

But you love me that way.

David N. Scott said...

Wow. Don't die. :)

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Not a chance, David!