9.12.2006

Pretty Shiny Things


Today I took a tour of the Natural History Museum's vault. In it, they house all their precious gemstones. You can't touch them, but you can drool.

Which I did.

I'm not a big fan of expensive jewelry. All of my real baubels are small and tasteful and I rarely wear them. I'm a simple girl that way. Which is why most of my bling lives in my mom's jewelry box.

My fake stuff is ghetto big. But the real stuff, I just can't carry it off without looking like I'm trying too hard.

About 2 years ago, a boy asked me to marry him. He wasn't serious, he just wanted a legal way to force me to share my income with him so we could buy a house. Being pathologically materialistic however, he was turned off by my unwillingness to wear a huge gaudy ring. And that was the end of his bogus proposal.

But all those sparkly stones under twinkly lights today were really pretty. I can't imagine actually wearing them, but I can appreciate their beauty.

And at least they're a better investment than a Mazerati.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want lots of pretty sparkly things, did you steal anything for me?

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

I was trying to get a job, not an arrest record!

exile said...

dooling over untouchable jewels....

i feel the same way in most sex shops

Will said...

Did they show you the family jewels too?

Anonymous said...

I wish the wife felt the same way!

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Exile: of course you do.

Will: no, but someone else did.

JTS: it's hard out there for a pimp, ain't it?

David N. Scott said...

Hmm. Now that was a story I'd like to hear the entirety of sometime.

And, yes, jewelry is a better investment than cars...

BurgandySkies said...

I don't wear jewelry either. Drives David nuts because his mom loves jewelry and he keeps bugging me to wear the ring his mom bought for me. As it is, since I finally weigh less than I did when we got married (yeah!), my wedding ring doesn't fit very well anymore and I have to take it off when we hike for fear of losing it.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Can't you have it resized?