8.01.2006

I Missed a Day Somewhere


I love calendars. I live by them. I need three of them on the wall next to my computer just so I can stay on top of the day. Because what I do--or, did--requires that I constantly project at least a few weeks, if not months, out. While still operating in the present.

Which can be disorienting, all that time travel.

I also carry a Palm Pilot. And am wedded to it for my daily agenda. Because I have a bad memory and am quite capable of messing up all my dates.

Which I did. Today. Because for the longest time, I thought today was July 31st. I had planned all my last-day-of-insurance activities for today: the acupuncture, chiropractic and optometrist appointments. Yesterday, all these visits would have been covered. Because yesterday was July 31st. All day long.

I also thought I had a party to go to tonight at one of my favorite bars. I put it on the calendar(s) as being Tuesday. Never bothered to check that the second box on the grid is actually the Monday box (I love the things, but I don't know how to use them, clearly).

Meaning that yesterday, while Lex and I were avoiding annoying Scots at Backstage and shooting pool at Joxer Daly's, I should have been wearing fangs and fake blood over at Saints & Sinners.

And that when I woke up today, thinking I had all these appointments, I was actually lying to myself. I had tricked myself into living in the past. The realization of this hit me like a ton of bricks right across the forehead. Turns out I'm pretty free all day long!

But after all that bourbon, tequila, and boys last night, a long morning in bed certainly cannot hurt. (The BTB, my favorite cocktail.)

Happy August 1st everyone! July by the Numbers up later.

7 comments:

exile said...

all day yesterday i thought it was tuesday

i'm so dissapointed that the weekend is acctually one day further away.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

When you're unemployed, every day is Friday. That's why last night I went out and got drunk with my girl friend. Who I beat at pool twice by virtue of her scratching on the 8-ball.

And a tip to all you boy-readers: inserting the pathetic line "I was a stand-in in Hollowman, I've MADE it!!" into your pick-up dance is going to leave you going home with your friendly palm and NOTHING else. Except anonymous ridicule on the internet. By me. Because you were ridiculous.

SkookumJoe said...

it's wednesday, Aug 2.

I know because that's Roo Victory Over Toads With Sticks Day, and the parade just started.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

You're going to make the boy angry Joe. Do you know what happens when Exile gets angry?

Me neither, but if it's anything like when the Hulk gets angry, I don't want to be around.

And also, stop showing off because you're 17 hours ahead of us. Just means you age quicker!

SkookumJoe said...

"...but if it's anything like when the Hulk gets angry, I don't want to be around."

I do, that would be awesome.

Sandra said...

Well I think I am behind you all but this time-travelling between blogs is making my head spin.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Joe: you're a total instigator. Which is why I like you.

Sandra: the time difference can really mess with your head. Make sure you sleep off the jet lag.

Woody: had you been able to make it instead of wandering around the aeropuerto, you could have witnessed the whole ridiculous spectacle yourself. Monday night entertainment.