8.27.2006

Training Week #21


There are only 7 weeks left until Race Day. And I think I may have finally gotten over the hurty-hump.

There have been many, many hurdles. Like the weirdo leg pain that's been a constant burden since mid-June, making it difficult to drive, walk, and even
sleep. I went through 2 different pairs of shoes to try to correct the problem, invested in custom orthotics, saw countless medical professionals to determine the right course of recovery, and gave my body over to a sadist of a massage therapist who beat the shit out of me on Tuesday.

Finally, someone suggested wrapping my leg while running. Two months of trying to figure this out and then the simplest of remedies becomes my life-saver. I ran 4 miles on Friday night, and then went out drinking. I woke up with a headache the next morning, but none of the leg hell I was expecting. I almost thought I'd had a transplant.

Today I did 9 miles--slowly--and all wrapped up like a mummy. Then hit a bottle of
Cytomax like it was tequila-flavored Gatorade.

And I feel fucking fantastic. It's been a very, very, VERY long time since I was able to say that sans the assistance of something alcoholic. Now I'm thinking I'll actually be able to handle my event like a pro.

I just have to
raise another $1,000. But that's a worry for another day. Today I get to enjoy my small triumph over the aches and pains.

It's also my favorite whisky-lovin' blogger's 35th birthday. Go on over and wish our Jack a good one. He deserves it.

5 comments:

exile said...

tequila flavored gatorade, yeah, if they made it you'd find it


you know, when it comes time for you marathon i'm going to buy one of those tiny bottles of tequila and dangle it infront of you on a stick. hell, you could run two marathons...

BurgandySkies said...

Yeah, I've been shocked at just how much I can reduce athritis symptoms with a couple of wrist braces and sometimes knee braces. Hoorah for ya!

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Exile: I expect to see you at mile #10, just when I'm about to collapse.

BS: Isn't it amazing? So simple, yet so effective!

exile said...

exo- popeye had his spinich, exo has her tequila

David N. Scott said...

Hey, that was me! Julie's been sniffing around my computer... :P