2.15.2008

Are You White Too?

I have a confession to make: a few of my friends are white. Or, to be politically correct, they're Caucasian. Especially La Ria, whose people hail from the Caucus Mountains. So she's like ultra-white. I know, I should be utterly ashamed. I think I can safely assume most of my readers are white too. It's horrible!

But there's a hidden benefit to all of this. Being the only Hispanic in a group of white people automatically makes me the coolest person in the group, especially given that I'm the awesomest combination of Spanish-speaking people. When I have to share the ethnic token with someone else, then we look like your typical United Colors of Benetton ad, and that's just cliché. And the only thing worse than being a cliché is being white.

White people are fun to ridicule. It's totally acceptable to do so because, well, they've been oppressing everyone around them since the beginning of time, so now we get back at them the only way they understand: through clever jokes and innuendo. It's an intellectual challenge. And who doesn't love those?

Which brings me to my newest most favorite blog of all time: Stuff White People Like. It's pure genius. And actually really well written. I admit that I like a lot of the stuff they list too, like sushi, wine, (the idea of) marathons, and David Sedaris. It's quite easy to become confused about my own ethnic background. But my saving grace is that I hate Sarah Silverman, Manhattan, 80s night, and Apple Corp., so I clearly can't be white. And that means all is right in the world.

13 comments:

neil said...

I'm white and I dislike 3 of the 4 things you listed there at the end (I don't really have anything against Apple Corp...but I don't own any Apple products either). I also don't really like wine or sushi...and prefer Dave Chapelle to David Sedaris...hmmmmmm, maybe I'm not as white as I think?

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Neil, you might have to re-examine your whiteness. Or, read the entire blog and find that you do like most of what they list, and are therefore white indeed.

Either way, you are accepted here.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Oh my god, you're so right! I might actually be Asian. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, one day you're going to wake up and realize you're a racist. Your post, if a bit clever, is not funny. I feel so sorry for you because you seem smart enough to know better, but you don't know better. That's the ultimate cliche - thinking you are smart but actually being stupid. Wake up girl!

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Oh my god, you guys. I have a troll! After 2 years, I have finally arrived.

And the realization that I'm both stupid and racist? I would have never known if not for my new troll. Thank you troll! Whatever would I have done without you? You are going to be my new pet, troll. In fact, since you opted to hide behind an anonymous non-identity, you will be forever referred to as Pet Troll. So fitting.

Karen said...

Oddly enough, I was kind of excited for you to have your troll comment as well. It's even better that he's anonymous. (I say 'he' because men are, well...pussies like that.)

neil said...

GPG...I took your advice and read some of the posts on that blog, and I'm here to say that yes, I am in fact white!

Mos Def...nice!

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Karen, are you scorned? You're too pretty and your fiance has tattoos, so I think not. (Though I agree with you about the pussy part!)

Neil, I'm glad you cleared up the confusion.

Woody: I'm not sure you can go to rehab until AFTER you go on Larry King and confess your homophobia.

Anonymous said...

Hey Troll Thingy,

You should have read up a bit- then you would have known that the GPG's best friend of 25 years is me Krazy Mommy aka Queen of Suburbia (do I have to spell that out for you?) So clearly she is not racist nor is she stupid. Besides if you knew her like I do you would realize she secretly wishes she was white and well Jewish too for that matter!

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

You're all so sweet, up in arms against the troll, making it clear that I'm not racist. But that's not the issue. Why isn't anyone arguing against me being stupid???

LB said...

You have a troll...and you are racist!! awesome!! I think that's the funniest thing I've ever heard...GPG is racist. Wow...

I'm white looking...but I'm Spanish and Greek mixed with Euro-Trash...so I guess all that Euro cancels out the color and makes me white. Yup.

I can't wait to read what white people love, bc I probably fit the bill perfectly!! haha...

And you're definitely NOT stupid. If that troll would read ANY of your posts...they would know that. DUH.

Anonymous said...

" So clearly she is not racist nor is she stupid."


hmmmm....maybe I should change my mind you didn't read all the way through GPG!!!!

BurgandySkies said...

I thought I was Hispanic for years before my husband made me admit to my own whiteness. I am mostly Spanish and Native American so I think I should get to be at least a little Hispanic. Spanish/Cherokee doesn't seem that far from Spanish/Aztec to me... My cousins on my mom's side are all half-Mexican. My mom and grandma spoke to each other in Spanish so my dad would have no idea what they were saying. Um... I grew up thinking that tortillas were pantry staples and white bread was wierd.

Do I qualify yet? Can I be an honorary Hispanic?

(And how come people whose main thing in common is Spanish ancestors get to be Hispanic, but people actually from Spain have to be White? What's up with that anyhow?)