2.13.2008

Please Drink Responsibly

Last night, a coworker and I decided a post-work cocktail was the perfect way to start the evening. We'd planned to attend a talk by author Walter Russell Mead, but it didn't start until 7:30. To kill the two hours, we sat at the swanky restaurant bar frequented by our more affluent clientele.

What you expect from these people, with there high-falutin' lifestyles, is an appreciation for the finer things. Hence the bevy of overpriced restaurants in that area, stocked with their excessively overpriced alcohol. I tend to stay away from the scotch because I know it's going to cost me over $20 each glass. Café Pinot has a particularly nice selection of moderately priced wines, so that's what we stuck with last night. And then it happened:

We overheard a waiter ask the bartender for a tequila and coke. I noted the bartendar's grimace. I cringed. And then I had to open my big fat mouth and ask: what the hell did they order? Oh, not just any tequila, like a Patrón silver or some crap that can afford to be mixed. They wasted a wonderful añejo I'd never even heard of (but was quite lovely) on that concoction.

I was disgusted. The bartendar just shrugged and did his job. It's a good thing I don't tend bar because I would simply refuse to make that drink, simply on principal. I catch a lot of flack from Jack for mixing bourbon with coke. But he's seen me drink whiskey straight, so he knows I can handle it.

I used to shoot 151, thinking I was a bad ass. I finally learned the finer points of enjoying a glass of good alcohol, be it tequila, scotch or rum. And I really wish I could educate the world about this. Because there is nothing less impressive than someone who should know better announcing his ignorance with a drink order like tequila and coke.

But if I did that, then I wouldn't be able to act superior to everyone who drinks vodka martinis and considers themselves cultured. So I'll keep my secrets to myself and the few people with whom I choose to enjoy a drink. I'm a drink snob, sue me. The other side of it is that I'm always willing to learn more. Just not about coke in my añejo!

I hope you, on the other hand, will NEVER fall victim to this serious social faux pas, like whatever idiot it was who asked for that mixed drink last night.

Honestly, that's just sounds gross.

18 comments:

LB said...

I think that person saw too many "disorono on the rocks" commercials...and decided that mixing coke with Tequilla was an inventive idea. WRONG! Sick. As a bartender, I'd refuse to make that drink...and I'd make them a cement mixer instead and watch them suffer.
I drink martini's but I dont think im cultered! hahaha...I like drinks where I can't taste the alcohol...so I stick to beer. Good ole' Bug Light...or piss water as my dad calls it. Nice.

but seriously...coke? jeez.

DrinkJack said...

Coca-Cola may be top shelf on the cola side of life, but it shouldn't be rubbing elbows with top shelf alcohol. Although, a paying customer is a paying customer. They all have to start somewhere. Most people I know who partake in whisky or other good spirits started with a mixed drink and evolved.

Anonymous said...

Clearly all of you, including the bartender, have no idea about Tequila. No offense, but in Mexico (where I live), mixing tequila with coke is very common. It's called a "Charro Negro"; feel free to look it up.

For example, in Mexico it's very rare for someone to order Scotch, Bourbon or Whisky with coke whereas in the States it's a pretty common drink (Jack and Coke). Bar recipes tend to change from place to place, and you may think you know all there is to know about a drink, but you'll never know that much if you don't live where that drink was born.

It feels wrong when you critizise someone without knowing why he/she did it in the first place. I invite you to come to Mexico and drink real tequilas in all of their many combinations.

By the way, if you want to know which is the best tequila, it isn't Patron, it's Reserva de la Familia.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Señor Ruiz: if it feels wrong, then write your own blog about what feels right. Also, no offense taken since you clearly haven't been reading this blog for any length of time.

BTW, Reserva de la Familia is great. I had 2 doubles of it in Dallas when I had a fat expense account to charge it to. But I'm a bigger fan of Don Julio 1942. As for Patron, who the hell drinks that anyway?

Anonymous said...

Seriously are you so stuck up you would judge someone and what the drink. what a elist snob. that like judging someone cause they ate a meal at taco bell. If they like it shut your mouth. Caviar disgusts me but i dont judge those who eat it.

Anonymous said...

When I was in Germany, tequila and coke was a very popular drink with the younger crowd. Its not that bad, esp if you add some citrus (lemon/lime juice) and even a pinch of salt. In fact I know a lot of good bartenders here who love that drink.

Soooo please don't get all "People who drink coke and tequila are ignorant," and think you are cultured for liking your stuff. You need to realize that tastes vary depending on region, culture, and person. In fact...I think a true "drink snob" would be open-minded to new ideas...

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

I love that this stupid post keeps inciting random comments from under the blanket of anonymity.

bobo the dog face boy said...

bob
My real question is for the snobs, have tried the drink? If that isnt too offensive perhaps you may actually like it. Not a snob. Just tried it and its actually good, if you are a mixed drink person. Lightens the tequila and sweetens it, I would take that over a margarita.

Unknown said...

Well, this post just inspired me to try it. Why not I thought. I have to report that it is actually not that bad, don't panic, I used some cheap tequila that I didn't know what to do with...!

Unknown said...

Okay then, I'm not anonymous, and I'm calling you a pretender snob who doesn't know what she's talking about. Just because you don't like a particular drink doesn't make you an authority on what is preferable.

And if you think your post is stupid, then I agree. In fact, that's the best thing that came out of your keyboard so far.

Jason said...

I feel I must defend whoever ordered the tequila & coke in the original Post.

Tequila (esp. 100% agave) pairs especially well with coca-cola as a mixed drink. The agave juice itself tends to enhance the sweetness of the coke, and the longer a tequila is aged in oak, the more vanillin (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf00035a013) is extracted. As many vanilla-coke afficionados can testify, vanilla and coke go together very well. IMHO, Tequila pairs much better with coke than some of the more traditional spirits (Rum, e.g.).

Anonymous said...

Im drinking a charro negro right now, and I got to this blog because I felt bad after googling 'tequila and coke' and see the controversy such a drink arouses. Im glad to see that there are some people that appreciate it. I'd rather have Jack and coke but gotta say that actually this tastes good.

Anonymous said...

Charro negro is called coketuila in Florida, but about 75% of people who try it don't like it. But here we used lime and no salt. It has a little more kick than the other liquor and cokes. VIVA LA COKETUILA!

Anonymous said...

wow.. well I had some jose cuervo and coke in the fridge.. thought I'd google tequila and coke.. and behold I found this.. then I had to try it. was delicious with some lime juice..mmm

Anonymous said...

Dumb pitch

Anonymous said...

closed mindedness is a great way to keep yourself from experiencing the world on a broader spectrum. enjoy your life(: as for me, I drink to get drunk, not to be a snob. and working full time for 8.50 an hour plus tips, I usually pick out a very modestly priced bottle. right now I have Jose cuervo and coca cola, and I'm going to give it a try simply because an ignorant person will view me as foolish for doing so. I find that quite amusing(:

Alison said...

This post and it's amusing thread has inspired me to make a tequilla and coke.

Anonymous said...

Alright, so.
My name is Troy and I have never, in all my many years of life posted any sort of comment on anything on the Internet (aside from Facebook) ever.
I have to add this though.
So I was sitting here craving a drink after a long day of work and all I have is tequila and cola..
Hoping that the Internet would help me out by answering the question "will this taste so bad I'll waste good cola?"( the tequila is patron, though it doesn't matter much to me because I'm not a huge tequila fan myself. Although the tequila in Ciudad Valles is like nothing else..)
I came across this.. just drivel.
Ignorant, self-involved bullshit.
Then I started reading the comments.
Some faith in humanity was restored.
And I've got one hell of a standing ovation for everyone who ripped this vain bitch a new twat.
So thanks, to everyone who showed some sort of moral responsibility in telling this thing how ridiculously pointless it is.

Again,
Troy

P.s. it's alright I guess. It's tequila. And coke. I'd prefer a nice beer but hey, it all goes down the same.
But, fuck her none the less.