9.23.2007

TV Rots Your Brain

Today marks the beginning of the end for some. It's the kickoff of Premiere Week on most networks. But it's also Countdown to Cancellation for a lot of the new shows hitting the airwaves.

I like playing a deathpool type of game with this every year, betting on which shows will crash and burn in ratings hell. I usually call it pretty easily. Anyone remember that Ray Liotta disaster
Smith? No? That's because it was only on for about 3 episodes (I had a friend who was a writer on the show. Unemployment came quickly for him). I didn't think Heroes would make it either, because the pilot bored me to tears. Now that it's back for it's increasingly popular 2nd season, I remain baffled but uninterested.

Back to the game:
Metacritic has the entire primetime line-up for network tv. All you have to do is determine which won't make it to November sweeps. Or February. Or May. If you live in the upside down place and don't get American television, it's okay. Just toss it out there and see what sticks.

(That's kind of how network execs do it anyway.)

Here's the short list (asterisks next to the ones I might actually watch):

Sundays
- Viva Laughlin! (It's like Vegas, but not)
- Online Nation
- CW Now
- Life is Wild

Mondays
- Samantha Who? (never even heard of it)
- The Big Bang Theory
- Aliens In America
- K-Ville (can anyone explain why a show in New Orleans is called K-Ville? Does it have something to do with Katrina?)
- Journeyman

Tuesdays
- Cavemen*
- Carpoolers
- Cane*
- Reapers (like
Dead Like Me, but not?)
- Chuck

Wednesdays
- Pushing Daisies
- Private Practice
- Dirty Sexy Money*
- Kid Nation
- Gossip Girl
- Back to You
- Kitchen Nightmares
- Bionic Woman
- Life

Thursdays
- Big Shots*

Fridays
- Women's Murder Club
- Moonlight (like
Angel, without David Boreanz?)
- American Band
- Nashville (like
American Idol, for talentless country twangers?)

Winners like me will get to watch football and then basketball from now until next June. Yay!

6 comments:

Jeen Yes said...

i'm moderately appalled that you're even considering watching cavemen. it's bad enough that the geico commercials have all but run their course, but a "sitcom"? caveman, please. i give that show one season. dirty sexy money should be pretty good though. peter krause shows always are (read: sportsnight, 6 feet under).

are we putting dinero down on the dead pool?

The littlest Princess said...

I have been dying to see Big Bang Theory. I can't wait to see it. I was a little excited about pushing Daisies but the more I see the comercials the less I want to see the show. I actually Loved Hells Kitchen so Kitchen Nightmares will probably be one that I watch. I do have to say though that Cavemen wasn't a show I would have thought you would watch. That caught me way off guard. I will have to see about getting us Tickets for another Clippers game this year :)

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

JY: I give Cavemen about 4 eps before they pull it. I just want to watch the trainwreck. Though wouldn't it be interesting if it actually pulled off an entire season?

LP: Already scored pre-season tix to see the Clips take on my boyfriend Steve Nash & Co!!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty mortified that there's a show about LAUGHLIN, truth be told.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

I'm watching K-Ville while I type this. I feel sorry for the Saints, who just embarrassed themselves in their home opener against the Titans.

K-Ville, on the other hand, ain't horrible. But it's only been 15 minutes.

DrinkJack said...

I am waiting to hear that the kids on Kid Nation form sides and stick a pig's head on a stick...