8.27.2007

You Drive a Fast Car

I left work after nearly 12 hours today. 'Tis that time again, when 60 hours a week are the new norm.

But I'm not complaining, except for the fact that I am utterly exhausted. It's a double-edged sword, this whole working late thing. Because if I leave work on time, I sit in traffic for at least 45 minutes. But if I leave later, I can race down a completely empty freeway in 5th gear and get home in no time.

Except tonight, I was too tired to care. I could barely get enough momentum to justify shifting into that last gear. And I realized just how fast 55 mph really is. Cars were flying past me at the speeds I normally drive: 75+. And that seemed so odd. I just couldn't do it. I was the old lady in the slow lane letting everyone pass her.

But I left work at 8:15 and was inside my bedroom at 8:40. Probably saved myself a few ounces of gas too. So maybe there is something to be said for slowing down.

1 comments:

Cowboy said...

Drive 55 and stay alive. I've been driving slower too, just to spite the police and the insurance companies who are always try to jack me.