8.06.2007

"Can't Make Both Ends Meat"

It's infuriating when people without the proper means choose bling over basic needs.

Case in point: yesterday I was waiting for my car to be washed. I drive a common Toyota. Nothing fancy, but it has nice rims. That came standard on the car. They're not flashy. It's just how the car is put together. And it's what I could afford.

I was minding my own business when along came a little family. The mother was dressed in her Sunday's best, black-on-black right down to the pantyhose. (It's 85 degrees beachside in Los Angeles. Why anyone wears head-to-toe black is ridiculously beyond me. But I digress...) Her wild children ages 6 to 11 were jumping around like spider monkeys. And then I noticed that the youngest one was sporting some serious metal in her mouth.

it's not uncommon for young children to lose their front teeth to the ravages of milk. Hispanic mothers tend to allow their kids to sleep with a bottle in their mouthes, which leads to some awful tooth decay. The front teeth end up rotting and that explains why you see so many kids with silver smiles in the Spanish-speaking 'hoods.

It happened to my C-note when he was about 2 or 3. But vanity and the ability to pay dental bills allowed for his parents to give him natural-colored veneers. It was either that, silver chompers, or a huge gap for 5 years. Because those suckers don't grow back until they turn 7. That's a loooooooooong time to be sportin' the toofless look.

Finally, they pulled the little family's minivan out to the drying area. And wouldn't you know it, it puffed out black smoke and rattled like it was dangerously close to exploding right there. But wasn't it pretty with its four shiny chrome rims? Because, you see, it was more important for this family to sport unnecessary and expensive accessories on a shitty car than to take care of their own children's teeth. Or, better yet, a car that isn't going to break down on the side of the freeway, stranding its occupants and causing a 4-hour bottleneck.

There's nothing more ghetto that fucked up teeth or a shitty car with ridiculous enhancements. Isn't it awesome when a beatup 1982 Datsun with busted headlights and exposed primer rolls past with a set of spinners? No. It's merely pathetic. Poor people are willfully keeping themselves poor.


But I guess that just means there's more money for the taking by me. So that I too can one day afford spinners of my own.

For now, I'll just put them on my shoes.

10 comments:

Jeen Yes said...

it's almost as fun when they've spent 5k on a "system" so you can hear the bass from 6 miles away and the car is worth about $600. that's pretty common out here, ese.

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexandra Scarborough (Sasha) said...

Jesus, shoe spinners. Can't wait to get my own. :(

The littlest Princess said...

I like it better when the beat up Datsun not only has Spinners but has extended the wheels out so that the car now looks like a roller skate with it's big fat tires and spinning rims. That is so much cooler.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

JY: those are almost as cool as the shitheads on Harleys that feel the need to drive down residential neighborhoods at midnight. Fuckers.

KM: no shit, right?

X: I'll send you some as soon as I can afford them! ;)

LP: I was just thinking about that very thing this morning when I came upon yet another shitty car with fancy rims. I don't know why this bothers me soooooo much, but it really does.

The littlest Princess said...

Trust me it bothers me as well. I want to slap the shit out of people when I see such things. It was just like the crack houses in South Carolina were all beat up yet they drove cars that I could never dream of owning and their kids were running around shoeless in tattered clothes. Stupid people

neil said...

Great post. I've never understood how people can get 'need' and 'want' so mixed up. You don't 'need' nice rims on your car...but you do 'need' gas, food, clothes, money for medical costs, etc.

You're 100% right.

My theory is that most people just don't realize how much they are spending when they are actually buying stuff. Its as if a switch gets turned off that is supposed to warn them that they're making a mistake ($100 on DVD's instead of food, for example) only for them to later scratch their head as to why they have no money in the bank when it comes time to pay rent.

Enter MoneyMart.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Great comment, Neil.

I'll admit, I'm an impulse shopper sometimes. But I'm talking about spending $20 on a shirt that makes my tits look great, not $400 on a purse to carry my puppy in.

neil said...

Impulse shopping is one thing...everyone should treat themselves from time to time. You just have to know where to draw the line.

That, and you shouldn't put a price on great tits...

=)

DrinkJack said...

It is probably the allure of easy credit nowadays. You know if you have to save money for 9 months to pay for the rims, then it is not as much fun.