5.20.2007

Overheard in the Family

As you know, most every Sunday is spent with my parents. My dad was in a silly mood all day.

At the Trader Joe's checkout:

Dad: Isn't that one of your bottles of wine?

GPG: I just paid, you can buy it.

Dad: But it's YOUR wine!

GPG: It's barely five dollars. You can buy me a five dollar bottle of wine.

Dad: *to the checkout girl* Don't ever have daughters.

Checkout Girl: I'm only 18! I'm not even thinking about kids.

Dad: When you do, don't have daughters.

GPG: Hey, you love me!

Dad: I do. Too much. That's why I'm telling her she shouldn't have daughters.

***

At the dinner table, discussing the Mexican-style birthday party my mother insists on throwing for me next weekend (meaning a bbq in the park, with piƱatas):

Mom: Your aunt is bringing this special meat.

GPG: What about the carne asada?! I want that!

Dad: Your mother is going to take care of that. She's going to season it.

GPG: As long as it's the same old carne asada we always have, then that's fine.

Dad: Wow, you're spoiled!

GPG: Hey, I didn't ask for this party. But if you're going to insist on doing it, then you're going to do it right!

Dad: You are so spoiled!

I am. But that's all his fault.

6 comments:

Jeen Yes said...

carnitas in the park. mmmmm. pick me up at LAX...i'll be there shortly.

The littlest Princess said...

I love your family because in their own special way they're as crazy as mine is.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

JY: If you fly into Burbank, it'll be much more convenient.

P: You would have enjoyed dinner yesterday. My dad was definitely channeling your dad's craziness!

DrinkJack said...

I feel the same way with my mom's potato salad.

BurgandySkies said...

Happy Birthday GPG!!

I remember those parties. Sweet sweet carne asada. I haven't had carne asade in... well, in a little under a year because my mom brought it to my birthday BBQ. Small world!

David N. Scott said...

I remember Mexican-style BBQs. Becca's godparents used to throw em all the time.

`course, their kids were in elementary school, but hey. Julie's mom made us do easter egg hunts until a year or two back.