5.09.2007

T-1 Day

I was just going to write Exile a quickie happy birthday message today. He's celebrating the Canadian way with crocodiles and oranges in Florida or something. And then tomorrow someone else is getting married.

But then I had a DAY and so we're going to keep it about me instead.

Like you really expected different.

I have monthly meetings with my client groups. Some are in swanky offices up high above the city. Some are at hotels. They are all with lawyers. And sometimes, judges.

Today was one of those.

I'd picked the menu specifically because it's what I wanted to eat during my birthday week. Especially the dessert. It had alcohol in it. The chef indulged me nicely.

And we were just about to wrap up when the kitchen staff came into the room, holding a huge cake. On it, the words "happy birthday" scrawled in beautiful script. Two candles lit in the middle. I scanned the room to see who was responsible. Spanky was sitting next to me, but he swore he knew nothing of it. (Of course not, he's a man. They don't think that way. Turns out it was a gift from the director of catering, a woman.)

The entire group of them sang happy birthday, including the hotel staff. It was nice. Then we realized the cake was chocolate (I heard later from the mortified catering director that she had ordered me strawberry shortcake--definitely not chocolate--but I was so surprised I had to appreciate the gesture).

I laughed when it was over and invited everyone to partake of a second dessert. The man taking the minutes was sitting on my other side and pointed out the fact that I had just been sung to by name partners of international firms as well as federal judges. Not to mention a few superior AND appellate court jurists. I agreed with him that it would go down in history as one of the most interesting birthday celebrations ever.

And by "interesting" I mean BIZARRE. They're entitled stuffed suits. Singing. To me. And then eating my cake.

I then told anyone who asked that I was turning 35. Or 21. And then let them figure it out.

I relayed this story to my mother later on, and she freaked out thinking that today was my birthday. But she calmed down when she realized it's only Wednesday.

If that was today, I cannot imagine what tomorrow has in store.

4 comments:

David N. Scott said...

Heh, nice. Hoorah for GPG! HAPPY BDAY!

Anonymous said...

Hey this sounds amazing...this is surely a great surprise for you...and was absolutely great reading through it...well have a great time!!!

Anonymous said...

That's so nice!!! Yay -- your b-day is coming.

DrinkJack said...

That is a mixture of a preemptive strike and blackmail :)

Hope your B-Day was wonderful and your Summer fling has been found!