3.18.2007

The Harem, Part 1

Last week, J of The Disposable Chronicles decided to explain why he links to other blogs. I scored high on his coolness scale, which kicks all sorts of ass. Mostly because I don't even know the guy and he thinks I'm "extremely competent," so clearly I don't completely suck at fooling strangers. I think he only likes my blog because he's awestruck by Los Angeles, but that's okay. I like his blog because he posts consistently AND enjoys his alcohol. I imagine if we were ever to meet in person, we'd have a drunken good time talking about everything from how Walmart caters to the most grossly obese of the population to why meat is good. Plus, I admire the Canadian ability to live in an arctic-adjacent region. Snow sucks.

The rest in alpha order:

8763 Wonderland - Rodger Jacobs is an honest-to-god writer who just happens to blog sometimes. Well, he used to, when he wasn't dealing with the lemons life has dealt him lately. He found me by happenstance, but it turns out LA is a very small town and we actually had a few people in common. The freakiest of which is the father of one of my oldest friends, who also just so happens to be one of the semi-notorious figures at the center of the Wonderland murders (the prosecutor). Morbid, but true.

Anonymous Lawyer - I read about this in a magazine my company publishes, so I can read it at work and it's not considered screwing off. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of my clients is the one running the site, but when confronted, he played dumb. Lawyers are good at that. The dumbness, I mean.

Be The Boy - Will is hysterical. Plus, he once told me my blog made him want to make out with me. He has the audacity to get married on my birthday, a move for which he will never be forgiven, but we shouldn't hold people's mistakes against their blogs. He's funny, the Boy.

Customers Suck - This isn't a blog, but a communal journal for bitter retail workers with a poor grasp of the English language and its grammar rules to bitch about their customers. Once you get past the really shitty syntax, it's rather entertaining. Mostly because it's not me doing their job.

Drink More Jack - What's better than a cute, smart man who knows his whisky? Really, not a lot. DMJ is witty and intelligent, making you want to get to know the man behind it. Which I did once, over drinks in a bar in San Francisco. He introduced me to Bushmills Black, and for that I am forever in his debt. Despite his blue eyes. He's also the only person I've ever met from Kansas City, which is currently batting 1.000 in the awesome people population stats. And he's a good read to boot!

Exile Industries - Exile is a trip. But he knows how to get partially naked for the camera, show off his snake, and post blue haiku. These days he's smitten with a Canadian. Those damn Canadians. They're taking over the world, I tell ya.

More to come...

8 comments:

Will said...

I am so thoughtless.

Anonymous said...

did you know that when I was born we lived on wonderland in Laurel Canyon, right around the time of the murders!!!??????!!!!

David N. Scott said...

Yea, customers suck is sort... special. Fun, tho'.

When we got married, the venue we had had two openings... mother's day and the day after my mum's bday. Bummer for her.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Will: you should look into getting help for that.

KM: that's right, I forgot about that! Small fucking world, I tell you. Small. Fucking. Crazy. World.

David: I'm guessing you went with the latter?

Bengali Chick said...

Oh what a good topic for a post! I generally discriminate against lawyers, unless they give me a good reason for liking them. I think that type of discrimination is ok.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

I'm on the fence about them, though I do lean towards hating them.

And I do think that's okay.

Cowboy said...

Thanks GPG. And I am fascinated by L.A., this is true. I like people who know how to put a saddle on their feelings and ride them around. You have a skillful way of jumping over emotional obstacles that you describe in your posts. It doesn't matter where you're from... I dig that.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

I like people who know how to put a saddle on their feelings and ride them around.

DAMN.

Do you have a hidden camera installed in my bedroom?