12.13.2006

Celebration Time!


This past weekend, my baby brother announced that his girlfriend is pregnant. And that they will be keeping the child.

My initial reaction was not a positive one. In fact, I spent a good portion of Sunday morning crying. And not because I think he's going to be a bad parent. On the contrary, I know he's going to be a wonderful father. I love my brother more than anything else in this world, but I could not fathom him compromising all his hopes and dreams at this point in his life. And I was pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one in my family reacting that way.

In fact, when the kid asked me what I thought, my answer to him was, "if I answer you truthfully, it's going to make you very angry. And I'm not going to be the one to do that. I'll let dad do that to you."

Man, was I wrong. Turns out that everyone adopted the "what's done is done, let's celebrate!" philosophy while I wasn't looking. I had the acute feeling of spinning around in a bizarro world when I heard that my father, the ultra-serious, no-nonsense patriarch of our growing clan, had a perma-grin from ear to ear. No one but me bothered pointing out the obvious (and unnecessary) difficulties that lay ahead.

So I'm the asshole. Thankfully, my older brother backed me up, agreeing that I brought up some good arguments, and that I just wanted to make sure he fully comprehended what this means. Because, even though he is a grown man, he's still my baby brother and I have a fierce need to protect him.


Eventually I realized he and his girlfriend had made up their minds and nothing was going to change that. They are, after all, both adults. And it is their collective life to live, not mine.
He's a smart kid, with a lot of heart and a good head on his shoulders, and they are doing what's right for them.

It's all going to be okay.

So with that, I'd like to offer my heartfelt congratulations to my baby brother, his lady, and their unborn child. Next summer there will be a new addition to our family and I truly couldn't be happier.

Let's celebrate, indeed!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

the "what's done is done, let's celebrate!" philosophy

Oh, oh, OH! I must've been connected with you on some level last night. I was JUST having this conversation with my mother as to why I don't understand this philosophy to becoming a parent. Oh, and you and I espouse the same confusion toward the concept. But you know, it's not my way - but whatever works, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

wow, that is big news, how far along is she?

Anonymous said...

I am glad everything worked out!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You're going to be Auntie GPG! Now that's very cool.

Anonymous said...

babies are wonderfull. especially dipped in gravy.

Anonymous said...

babies are wonderfull. especially dipped in gravy.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Roonie: to each his own!

Will: it is indeed big news.

KM: thanks for your invaluable advice!

Sandra: for the third time! It is very cool.

SJ: isn't that how they come out? In gravy?

The littlest Princess said...

I have to say that I'm sure that this will all become a great big adventure for everyone involved. Even if it gets rough it will be an adventure. So now that it's time to celebrate. YAY!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it, I've known him since he was little and now he's going to be a daddy. It's still hard to wrap my head around but at the same time. It's kind of cool. But now I'm cut off because the rockstar got scared all of the sudden.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

You shouldn't have told him. Duh.

David N. Scott said...

Hey! I didn't comment on this, even tho I remember reading it.

Anyway, I don't know if you're ever really 'ready' to have kids, `less you have enough money to live without working and a staff of nannies. Kids kick you in the head anyway.

So, uh, feel better? :P