12.18.2006

Rewards for Good Behavior


After a weekend characterized by comments like:

Girl at bar: I love your hair. I want to play with it!

and

Married boy at a party: You don’t look almost 30. You look like you’re our age…24!”

It should have come as no surprise today that when my boss asked me to come in to her office for some “good news,” that it was going to be…well, good news.

She started with a barrage of compliments about how damn good I am at this job and how I’m the silver lining in this mess with one recently hired then fired employee. Blah blah blah.

I blushed a lot.

Then came the really good news: I got a raise!

It’s not huge, but when you weren't expecting one in the first place, and had no idea that it was even a possibility, it’s that much sweeter. Holy awesome surprise, Batman!

Who said good work is never recognized? Some cynical bastard, probably.

***

And yet, there's a sneaking suspicion that something isn't right. I don't know if it's just the time of year and lacking the usual Christmas spirit...or the fact that my favorite coworker is leaving us in January (effectively opening the door to my nice new salary)...or what. But something is bugging me.

I guess I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Bah.

6 comments:

David N. Scott said...

Those are just vampires.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, he's right you know. Christmas ones.

Roonie said...

They might be afraid that with your co-worker friend leaving, you may consider following suit. Bosses notice office pairings. And they probably really want to keep you on.

The littlest Princess said...

I think it's that so much crazy stuff has gone on in the past few weeks that now that Christmas is just around the corner and things will settle down after new years that you will see you're just being suspicious. I don't think the other shoe is going to drop.

Anonymous said...

I'm with the tiny princess on this one, chill and be happy!

and what are your thoughts about getting the "eight" of us together sometime in the next few weeks for a little BOP holiday dinner celebration.

DrinkJack said...

Unexpected pay raises are fucking great! Well deserved I am totally sure.