7.19.2006

Operation: Surprise!


Snippet of a phone call I received this morning:

Mom: I just wanted to let you know your dad came out of surgery just fine.

Me: What the hell? He had surgery today?!?!?

Mom: Yeah, but he's totally fine. It was nothing. In fact, he'll be home later tonight.

Me: Yeah, but still!

Mom: Mija, he's fine! ¡Calmate!

It's not like I didn't know this was going to happen, I was just under the impression that it was scheduled for next month. And I was aware that it wasn't going to be a big deal, but you know how it is.

About 4 years ago, my dad was diagnosed with Peripheral Vascular Disease, which required him to have a major wacko emergency surgery. They had to cut him all the way down the middle to remove a blockage from the main artery that runs down your torso, coupled with a bypass in each leg. It was brutal and left him with what looks like a zipper running down his chest and stomach.

This procedure was nothing compared to that, they just had to remove some scar tissue that had formed as a result of the original operation. In fact, his dressing was apparently nothing more than a band-aid.

It was still disturbing to hear that he'd gone under the knife without any prior warning. But I suppose it was better than worrying about it all morning.

And it IS a great relief that he's okay. Yay!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad he is doing fine, you never told me about the surgery before!

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

That's because I thought it was in the far off future! Turns out the future was today.

So annoying.

exile said...

my mom did the same thing to me

mom- good news, everything is fine
exile- huh?
mom- i was worried i had cancer
exile- *worried* you thought you did?
mom- yeah, i told everyone what was going on
exile- this is the first i've heard of it
mom- i thought i told you
exile- no you didn't, so what happened, was it be-nine? (i sound out words for her)
mom- no
exile- so what are you going to do?
mom- nothing
exile- *alarmed* how can you just do nothing
mom- it's not cancer, it's mental pause

yeah, this i how conversation with my mom go...

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Mental pause. That's awesome.

C-Dub said...

Awe, glad your dad is ok... I mean otherwise who is going to try to get me drunk every time I come to your house... Wait. Is that a trait that runs in your family? :) Best to your family!

exile said...

wonderland- did she call you at work drunk too?

David N. Scott said...

Julie's mom once did the same thing to her.. except it was a freaking coronary BYPASS!! What's that about?

BurgandySkies said...

Oh no - not once, many many times. My sis had a major nervous breakdown and I didn't find out about it until her psychatrist called me as a cross-reference subject. My dad lost 6 pints of blood, was rushed to the hospital and I didn't know about until I came home and no one was there (nearly 12 hours after this had happened). My mom had breast cancer, went in for masectomy and no one told me or my sis until the doctor called to confirm her surgery time (oops!) and just last week my sister finally let me know that, oh yeah, she was finally going in for that gastro-bypass surgery! I could go on... and on...
Aren't families fun?

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

It's all about them trying not to worry us. But I say worrying is a right, not a privilege.

Unlike driving. Which some motherfuckers should NOT be able to do.

David N. Scott said...

NO kidding...