7.01.2006

Boom!


There must be an unofficial ordinance out there stating that everyone is entitled to set off illegal fireworks for the entire week BEFORE the 4th of July. Because there is no appropriate explanation, other than a lax LAPD presence, for what is going on in my neighborhood right now.

I can't tell if we're having another thunderstorm, a drive-by, or it's merely some assholes having fun. When you're ghetto-adjacent, you get used to a certain type of noise. Mostly sirens. But this constant pop-pop-pop going on is pushing my tolerance for poor people.

I hate being home this time of year for that very reason. But my other option is to hang out in the Valley instead, which I did today and nearly melted.

Why can't some kid just blow his hand off already and serve as an example for everyone else? Is that really too much to ask?

4 comments:

SkookumJoe said...

keep calling the cops to report gunshots (from pay-phone). they'll get sick of coming and shut it down. of course while they are doing that a real shooting could happen, but hey as long as you get some peace.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

The truth is I don't think we've ever had a drive-by...this is West LA, not South LA after all. And I'm sure plenty of people call the cops about it. Ghetto people just don't give a shit about the police, so they just keep it up.

Assholes.

David N. Scott said...

We get a bit of that `round here, too. At least we did last year... it's been quiet this year.

What bugs me is when people are still doing fireworks at like 4 AM.

It's kinda like... 'ok... we're all done with that now...'

exile said...

i remember last year when i was living in Santa Ana, the fireworks were legal, but the people lighting them weren't.