4.09.2006

Adventures in Suburbia


I've had the most interesting weekend of random sightings. No, not the celebrity kind, because there are so damn many of them it's never been interesting. These were definitely strange and decidedly unordinary.

Yesterday, in Wal-Mart, I spotted a nun. Yes, a nun. In full black habit. She was Asian, which I've never seen. All my Catholic school nuns were Mayflower types. I found her in the laundry aisle. Which I suppose means that God's servants have dirty laundry too.

Oh, I'm so funny with my puns!

(Don't ask why I was in the big, bad W-M. I didn't want to go, but I had to get gift bags large enough to fit the twinsies' presents in, and the supermarket didn't have any, and that part of suburbia doesn't seem to house any 99-cent stores, so there you go. I'm morally opposed to their practices too, but by spending money there I'm actually indirectly ensuring my own paycheck, so sue me.)

Curiously, no white people in that Wal-Mart. Except for the workers. This, in Valencia. Go figure.

Today, in the part of suburbia where they make up for lack of W-Ms with an excess of Starbucks (wait, that's redundant!), I spotted a guy who could have been Kurt Cobain. That is if Kurt hadn't died last century and gone metrosexual on us instead. I had witnesses. They agreed with this assessment.

It's just past noon on Sunday. Who or what else can I possibly run into?

I'll check back in later...

***

Update: I just got back to my cozy home and have managed no further weird run-ins. I guess one per day was enough.

4 comments:

exile said...

walmart is evil, but it's a neccisary evil. gas prices and living expences force us to shop there.

if you're starving, canibalizm isn't that evil.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Haha. My ancestors, the Aztecs, were rumored to be cannibals. It's bullshit, but still a good thing to keep in mind, should I find myself starving anytime soon...

The littlest Princess said...

That was the weirdest thing, Kurt Cobain as a metro, I couldn't believe my eyes. Hehehehe. These are absolutely brilliant keep it up :)

Anonymous said...

yes there are 99 cent stores, one pretty close to the walmart, next time go right off the fwy at lyons instead of L, when needing bags for my children's gifts ( hehe), wait til you see some of the people in that store!, if you thought the WM was crazy