6.04.2007

The Mutual Admiration Society, New York Chapter

It was 10:30 pm in his world and he sounded like hell.

"How are you?" she asked, concerned.

"Oh," he started. "Between traveling overseas and moving here and this job. I'm just so..." He sighed.

"Overwhelmed?"

"I can't even begin to describe it."

"God, I know exactly how you feel," she empathized, as she started on her 11th hour in the office. A practice that was becoming much too routine.

"Tell me," he responded, the exhaustion clear in his voice.

"No sweetie, you're obviously very tired. Go to bed."

"It was really, really good to hear your voice," he offered in recompense.

"And you know you can call me anytime. Whether you need to vent, or just to tell me that you love me!" she laughed lightheartedly.

"Honey, I love you," he said with such sincerity, it nearly broke her heart all over again.

"And I love you."

She let him go to sleep and turned back to her own insurmountable work, calmer. With a small, wistful smile on her face.

1 comments:

DrinkJack said...

Those damn time zones suck!