11.11.2007

Growing Up is Hard to Do, Part 2

Over the weekend, I realized I'm living a life I don't quite recognize. Not totally happy with it, I've decided to do away with the hypotheticals and accept certain truths.

In list form:

- Quitting my job would not be the end of the world
- Maybe having a kid wouldn't be so bad
- I'm moving back to El Valle next month

Usually, when I want to make a big change in my life, I just cut off all my hair and take up a new endurance sport. But this time, it's going to take more than a sassy haircut and a renewed commitment to the gym. I have to shake it up completely: relocate and start fresh.

I'm lucky that I have the luxury of making these decisions on my terms and no one else's, even if coming to grips with them is breaking my brain. And no, I'm on pregnant...but apparently the biological clock started ticking on Saturday.

Probably due to the fact that Saturday marked the 6-month countdown to 30.

Crikey.

In the meantime, happy 6th birthday to my G-brat. She's 6 today. What a fun age.

7 comments:

David N. Scott said...

I think we get into these sort of stockholm syndrome situations too often... sure, we're not enjoying things now and time is passing without working towards our goals but things aren't completely falling apart, so why think about it?

Every once in a while, you do try to clean house. Seems like the last year has been nothing but that for us, but it sort of feels good at the same time, y'know?

Good luck toya, GPG!

The littlest Princess said...

Sorry to hear that things haven't been a picnic since your promotion and that It's made you look to making some changes, but at the same time, Change is a good thing sometimes A drastic "overhaul" of sorts is what works best. I hope that everything works out for the better when your changes take place.
Best of Luck.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

David, you misunderstand. Things aren't falling apart, I'm just unhappy with the way things are. So instead of bitching about it, I'm doing something about it. Because I'm a do-er, not a complainer.

David N. Scott said...

Hmm... I guess I did say completly falling apart instead of just falling apart. Is that what you mean? Cos my original reply was 'that's what I said', but then you didn't answer like I said it.

I was saying that sometimes we're unhappy and things are't falling apart so we stick with them, which I thought was fairly clear.

But I've been sort of fried, so maybe not.

Maybe it's the use of we. Probably best used by preachers and queens.

BurgandySkies said...

Yeah, I think David meant that even when things aren't falling apart you can still get that need to just go and switch things up a bit.

(Of course, we've had so many addresses in the last seven years that this has become the most dreaded part of filling out applications for anything.)

Sometimes a new change of locale is good for the soul and whatnot.

neil said...

From a complainer to a do-er...all the best. Maybe some of that conviction will rub off somehow...

DrinkJack said...

Hope this helps: Just know that you will always be younger than me.