11.28.2007

When the Rose-Colored Glasses Break

I like to take people at face value. I'm not gullible, but I want to believe the best of people. Especially if that's what I think they're presenting to me.

But earlier this evening I was perplexed by a discovery I made about someone I care for quite deeply and thought I knew quite well. I'm confounded because it goes directly against everything he's purported to desire. But I guess it doesn't change my opinion of him too much. Only because I know this doesn't impact how he feels about me, our friendship, or any of that important stuff. In fact, it only goes to prove that he's human, too.


That's a comfort.

Still, I wonder how much I'm glossing over in other areas of my life. How many truths am I missing, misinterpreting, or just plain ignoring? I honestly don't know.

But since I'm a 58-year-old man with awesome boobs only pretending to be a 29.5 year old woman with awesome boobs, what do you expect?

I do wish I'd had this secret knowledge about my friend when I saw him this weekend, though. I would probably have called him on his shit. Or at least not swallowed it whole. Because if he wants me to believe one thing, clearly there's a part of him that wants it to be true.

It's too bad we work so hard to hide our true selves.

5 comments:

neil said...

…or that we have to work so hard to reveal our true selves.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Peeling back the layers is less painful that constantly putting up walls.

neil said...

In the long run...your probably right. But I honestly think it depends on the type of person you are. Think about a band-aid that you've had on for...oh...say 10 years...covering an old wound...its not coming off without a fight and a little bit of pain...no matter how good it is for you to peel off. It was there for a reason (at one point)

Building walls to keep thoughts/people/feelings/etc out can get pretty easy after a while...you get good at it. Sure, it isolates you, and can cause a different kind of 'pain'...and can be painful for those people who care about you (who you may be shutting out...) but sometimes it has to be done to protect our weak spots.

When your used to doing things one way, its hard to erase years of learned behaviour and start doing the opposite.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

It's no fun being damaged.

neil said...

no...its not.