11.15.2007

Taking it All for Granted

Ever since I made the decision to move, I've suddenly become very aware of what I'm leaving behind:

- The beach a mere four miles away
- A cooler climate than the rest of the city
- My favorite dive bar, where the owner knows my name, and the Sunday morning regulars greet me with a high five, especially if the Saints are winning


There are far more negative things, like traffic, ridiculously high rent, traffic, never-ending street construction, and did I mention the paralyzing traffic?

But the one thing that I noticed on the ride home tonight was the line of planes. Little points of light. Like a linear constellation. It reminded me of the week after 9/11. My roommate, who had just left NYC, and I headed down to the beach one night. It was eerily deserted, like most of the city. People were afraid to leave their homes in those first few days. But what struck us most was the absence of that line of lights hovering over LAX. It was strange.

For some reason, leaving that to move 30 miles inland is making me sad.

It's funny what gets you.

3 comments:

Captain Chipmunk said...

It's funny you mention the planes. I've had a great view of them every night leaving the theater in Malibu and I was just thinking last night how cool that was.

I also thought it was weird how the temperature was 52 degrees when I left Malibu, hit 76 (at 11pm mind you) driving through the Valley, then lowered back to 56 when I arrived in Palmdale. And people say I'm nuts for living where I do? ~jts

Karen said...

That's kind of how it felt after Katrina....deserted. Well, I guess that makes sense, since it WAS deserted, but it sure gave me new perspective on the place I call home.

Roonie said...

30 miles in? Really? Where?