5.27.2008

Road Wars

Complaining about the price of gas is as effective as voting for Ralph Nader. And when I decided to use my mother's V6 sedan while my parents are on vacation, I knew I'd take a slight hit on the gas end.

Holy shit. $71 for regular unleaded. And I should have used the premium stuff, but with prices being what they are? Hell no. Two weeks ago, it cost me $50 for my own car, and that's a tiny little four-cylinder...this one has a bigger tank and gas is up 13 cents since then.

I was so furious.

You know what else costs $70? Two weeks worth of groceries for my house--and that's including the new jacked up prices and all my special gluten-free crap. $50 buys you a full sushi dinner for two at Sushi Dan's--replete with celebrity sightings. I can get two pairs of shoes for $70. The other day I bought seven dresses for that much. My phone bill is even less than that. The only thing that rivals it is my cable bill...but only by a couple bucks.

Food, clothing, entertainment, and communication. All of it amounting to less than a goddamn tank of gas. That will last me a week--if I'm lucky. Too bad there aren't any real alternate transportation options.

Somehow that just doesn't equal out. How long before there's a revolt? Oh right, we have an election in November. How much worse can it get in the next 5 months?

1 comments:

Karen said...

Seriously. I can't even afford to drive to work anymore, which pays the gas bills.