5.09.2008

T-1 Day

And so here we are, at the very tail end of my 20s. Tomorrow morning I'll wake up and be 30. What a way to end the week.

And a decade. It started with me in all my youthful naiveté running around UCLA, surrounding myself with boys in bands, stealing their souls. I graduated from college and that scene, but I still own their souls. And at least one of them still has my heart.

Then came real life and the urban tribe. The background players came and went, but the core group has stayed the same. We have each other to celebrate the accomplishments, support when life deals out lemons, or just to share a drink at the end of the day. We've moved across state lines and time zones, but we've never been closer.

There have been laughs and heartbreaks. Nights that flew by, when we had so much fun it was hard to believe life could get any better than that. And days that stood still, when we prayed it wouldn't get any worse. Pleasure and pain in equal measure. I've learned humility and I've earned my pride, taken my lessons and hopefully imparted a few where I could. The last 10 years of my life have been the absolute greatest rollercoaster ride.

I lived the life I wanted, just hard enough and just fast enough, yet still came out pretty much unscathed. The memories of these 10 years make me smile, even the cringe-inducing ones. Because now I can laugh at them; it was all worth it. It's got me to where I am now.

My 20s were fantastic.

Thanks for playing along. Catch y'all on the flip-side.

6 comments:

LB said...

You actually just made me kinda cry. Wow.....powerful! I hope that when I turn 30 in 5 years that my look back at my 20's will be as awesome as yours! Happy Birthday GPG! You deserve a great day!

Mumblemumble said...

Awe GPG, sweet pre-b-day post! Just wanted to wish you all the best, and don't worry, post 20's life ain't half bad. Welcome to the dark side! Happy big b-day sweetie! Love you!

David N. Scott said...

HAppy Bday GPG!

(It's still Saturday, kinda).

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great birthday! You know some people say life gets even better after 30. And if your 20s were fantastic, then your 30s will be super fantabulous!

Anonymous said...

You rock. Seriously.

DrinkJack said...

Sweetie - the thirties are so much fun! Happy turn of decade :) Hope the hangover is over...