5.18.2008

Overheard in the Family #13

To fully understand the following conversation, I should give you some family background you probably can't glean from the many, many la familia posts:

1. My mother and father are 19 years apart.
2. The cousins on my father's side are all about the same age as my mother.
3. No, it's not creepy and if you dare say so, I'll cut you.
4. My family is kooky, but that you probably already did know.

May is also full of family birthdays: mom, Auntie J, my nephew, me, Cousin R (who is also Auntie's son). It's a huge hit to the wallet. Because Mother's Day is thrown in there too. Much fun.

So at my nephew's 5th birthday party yesterday, we were talking about how we're celebrating Cousin R's 50th today. I had this conversation with his daughter Juju Bee (who is 9):

GPG: Your dad's 50! Isn't that old?
Juju Bee: No, 50 isn't old. You're not old till you reach 63.
GPG: 63? That's the new old?
JJB: Yeah, that's what it said in my health book. Oh wait, actually it's 65. Yeah, you're not old till you're 65.

I choked on water when she very matter-of-factly stated it was 63/65. It was too cute.

2 comments:

Cowboy said...

Big age differences are hot.

BurgandySkies said...

My in-laws are about 10 years apart. My father-in-law started dying his hair because he got tired of people assuming his wife was his daughter.

Big age differences = funny stories, and funny family stories are always good.