12.13.2007

The End Is Near

Tomorrow the first one of my childhood friends turns 30. The big 3-0.

Of course, I've known plenty of people to hit (and survive) this milestone. I was 11 when my mother celebrated her 30th birthday. A few other friends are already deep into the decade. But this is different.

Mr. Reed and I grew up together. We graduated from high school together. He's the one that gave me a kick ass present for my 24th birthday: a big black baseball bat so I could beat the shit out of people! A few years later he proposed. Kind of.

The point is that we've gone through stuff together. Way back in the day we'd ditch school to hang out in Santa Monica. Or drive up to Santa Barbara for the weekend so we could chill in a hotel room and just get drunk. Being 17 was fun.

And now we're supposed to be adults? I started the countdown over a year ago, and even though I've managed to cross a few things off the list, I don't feel like a "grown up" most of the time.

This is a weird transition period. I know Mr. Reed is having a hell of a time dealing with it. We exchanged text messages all day, just so I could tease him about tomorrow being The Big Day. Because even if we are supposed to be mature, deep inside we'll always be those 17-year-old brats.


That's a comfort.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I have only 56 days left until adulthood kidnaps me.

Blech.

Anonymous said...

Ok all you people are making me feel like I should be walking with a cane, cause I'm an ancient 33!! I freaked too, but it's really not that bad... really, it's not.

Turns out that being 30 it a lot like being 29, just cooler. ;)

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Karen, that makes your birthday the same day as fellow blogger H. Wood. Yay for blogging birthdays!

CDub, how many threesomes have you had since hitting 30? See, it's the little things.

Alexandra Scarborough (Sasha) said...

Thirty's actually not too bad; it's when you hit 31 it becomes official, and then it gets a little freaky.

We won't even talk about 36...