3.08.2006

Can You Spell I-R-O-N-Y?


I confess. I have an issue with poor spelling and grammar. Admitting that in this particular forum might come back to bite me in the ass eventually, but that’s okay. I literally gnash my teeth when I see the blatant misuse of commas, apostrophes (!!), and just plain misspelled words. It hurts, really, it does.

I don’t know how I became like this. Somewhere along the way, probably just past the 3rd grade lesson on homonyms and the difference between their, there, and they’re, I got it into my head that poor spelling is an outward sign of stupidity. I know that isn’t true. I mean, I know highly intelligent people who have forgotten their third grade edumacations and consistently butcher the written language. But still, I can’t shake the “wow, he’s stupid” thoughts.

That long back-story brings me to my point:

For some unknown reason, I was lucky enough to end up on a daily email list put out by some ad blog. I don’t know how or why I ever signed up (probably has something to do with the little martini icons all over the place), but it’s interesting enough that I haven’t unsubscribed. Kind of like an inside peek into the minds that bring us those wacky "I'm lovin' it!" campaigns.

Now, you would think that people who run this site, representing copywriters and editors across the globe, would take precautions to ensure that they handle the written word with care. I mean, misspellings on ads are anathema to their very success, right?

Apparently not. Every day I receive this email chock full of typos. People, don’t you proofread your communiqués?! Seriously, folks. There are only so many times you can stick a D on the end of the word “an” and not expect us to wonder—all Australian-style—WTF?

Though I have a sneaking suspicion that the editor may not be fluent in English because the clumsy construction and random “typos” are similar to those employed by neophyte English speakers.

Then again, he could just be stupid.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trust me...he's just stoopid!